IntelliNet is an extensive system of individual autonomous systems and smart objects in water and wastewater industry. Local self-controlled systems, such as deep tunnel collector channels, special structures for CSO reduction, pumping stations, and wastewater treatment plants, are supplemented by spatially and logically higher-level control procedures.
The basic components of an IntelliNet system include sensors, actuators, automation- and communication components.
IntelliNet has two main objectives: waste-/rainwater storage management and pumping station synchronization.
- Waste-/rainwater storage managementThe storage volume of existing basins and channels is better utilized and effectively managed. The following points are addressed and taken into account:
- Evaluating water filling level, and thus, calculating usable storage capacity to accommodate forwarding water volume in case of uneven rain events in different catchment areas
- Better utilizing upstream basins
- Faster and synchronized discharge to recover storage and congestion potentials
- Increasing forwarding volumes when channel systems is fully utilized
- Specification of objectives e.g. avoidance concurrent discharge into same river branches
- Pumping station synchronizationBy synchronizing the pumps of individual pumping stations, a continuous and consistent flow in the sewer is remained to increase the effectiveness of the pumping stations regarding performance, energy consumption, and service life.Moreover, IntelliNet can be further integrated and synchronized with other Intelli- and/or external systems, such as:
- Avoid unnecessary new construction or expansion of existing facilities
- Prevent over-discharge during heavy or prolonged rainfall
- The max. inflow to the treatment plants can be regulated, avoiding overcapacity in pumping stations and WWTPs
- Provide a possibility to prioritize the discharge locations (when the discharge is unavoidable)
- Optimize operations regarding to network’s performance, consuming resources (personnel, energy), equipment’s service life
- Waste-/stormwater storage management
- Pumping station synchronization
- Channel network management
- Water supply network management